Mondays may typically be a slower paced day in The District, but don’t let that fool you. Exploring The District is a fun way to spend the day – even on a Monday. Czech out this wonderful list of ideas to help you enjoy The District at anytime of the year.
Start with a great cup of coffee and a bite to eat. In New Bohemia, grab a custom coffee beverage at Roasters or Brewhemia*. Lu’s Deli* offers Donutland Donuts and opens at 7am. Roasters at the NewBo City Market* open 7am-2pm with free WiFi and plenty of room to catch up on emails or meet up with friends. Although the NewBo City Market* itself isn’t open on Mondays, you can get a peek of what our City’s Market offers. Brewhemia* is open 7am-6pm on Mondays and has a selection of omelettes, breakfast burritos, pancakes and other breakfast options. In Czech Village, you can start your day with a cup of coffee from Cafe St. Pio and a full menu full of delicious breakfast options.
Unique, vintage and handmade items are available in locally owned businesses within The District. You can find some great souvenirs and gift items at the following locations:
(Monday hours featured below.)
- Raygun* is the self proclaimed “Greatest Store in the Universe”, a printing, design & clothing company owned and operated by extremely attractive Midwesterners. Clothing retail store featuring quirky sayings on a variety of products. Open 10-6pm
- Treasures Quality Resale Shoppe is a quality thrift shop offering high-quality, affordable clothing, collectibles, household items, books and toys. Open 10am-5pm
- Bills Brothers is a local mainstay offering sectional sofas, dining room sets, beds & dressers in a warehouse-like space. Open 9am-5pm
- Iowa Running Company is your premier run specialty and shoe store in Cedar Rapids and the greater Corridor. Open 10am-7pm
- Make an appointment at Illuminations* for a massage, psychic readings, or energy work such as Reiki. Open 10am-6pm
- Frond Shop + Studio* features hand generated art in fabric. Plan and design your fiber art with their original artwork as a solid foundation. Classes and Products available. Open10-6pm
- Next Page Books* This is a locally-owned, independent bookstore featuring a wide variety of new books including fiction, non-fiction, young adult, and children’s titles. Open 10am – 6pm
- Soko Outfitters* is a specialty outdoor store focused on hiking, camping, kayaking, climbing and the outdoor lifestyle. Climbing wall details: https://sokooutfitters.com/pages/soko-climbing-wall Kayaks and Stand-Up Paddleboards available for rent. Open 10am-6pm
- Health Hut* sells a variety of Natural and Organic products to keep you and your family living happy and healthy. Open 9-5:30pm
- Czech Village Antiques* is a mall of antiques, collectibles and gifts, we have something for everyone including souvenirs of the area. Featuring authentic Czech Antiques. Open 10am-5pm
- White Lion Treasures* is a source for primitives, oil and gasoline advertising, old signs, pottery, and lighting. Its two buildings are filled to overflowing and the store has long been a required stop for dealers from around the country and for knowledgeable collectors. Open 11am-6pm
- Corner Store Apothecary* offers holistic healing items, essential oils, CBD oil, hemp soap, incense/soy candles and more. Open 10am-6pm
- Czech Cottage* is a small shop specializing in products from the Czech and Slovak Republics including: mouth blown/hand-cut crystal, Egermann ruby glass, Czech garnet jewelry, handmade glass Christmas ornaments, hand-decorated egg shells, and hand-painted ceramics from Domazlice. Open 10-5pm
For lunch options, you can check out Lu’s Deli* for delicious homemade sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts. Or Czech out Luckys on 16th for a casual meeting place serving great food, beer and cocktails with board games to enjoy. The newest local lunch spot is Cafe St. Pio in the Czech Village with a talented chef serving casual cafe style lunches. Lunch Slices are available at Fongs.
Activities to Experience in The District on a Monday:
- Selfie locations in The District:
- In Czech Village with the Angel Wings on buildings
- With Lions throughout the district (on the Bridge of Lions, behind Chrome Horse Saloon, by the Kosek Bandstand, by Cafe St. Pio
- The giant cherry at The Cherry Building* (coming soon)
- Book a massage or self-care time for ultimate relaxation! Skin Rock Massage and Sugaring* is available for appointments on Mondays and specializes in Massage & Natural Hair Removal for men, women and teens. Illuminations* is open on Mondays from 10-6 pm and always has practitioners available for appointments (massage, psychic readings, energy work such as Reiki).
- Learn about history and culture at the National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library*, a designated a Smithsonian Affiliate. Enjoy some quiet time exploring what it means to be free through the Czech and Slovak story in our “Faces of Freedom” exhibit and tour the Immigrant Home. Current Exhibits: https://www.ncsml.org/exhibits/ End your morning in the Museum Store, and take a piece of the story home with you. Open 9am-4pm on Mondays.
- The iowa Ceramics Center and Glass Studio* offers facilities and a wide variety of programs in both Clay and Warm Glass – for all ages and ability levels as well as a Gallery Space Open on Mondays 3pm-9pm.
- Although the NewBo City Market* is not fully open on Mondays, (although Roasters is open 7am-2pm) you are welcome to enjoy their green space. Grab a book from Next Page Books* and lay out on the lawn, or play in the community Sandbox.
Snacktime on Mondays? We have the place for your sweet/salty tooth: Almost Famous Popcorn creates “Moments that Pop” for visitors to the District. Experience gourmet popcorn that has won accolades “Top 5 in the US” by travel authority Orbitz. Walk in the door to the great smells and enjoy a taste of handcrafted products. Get a heaping cone of super-premium hand dipped ice cream or fresh fudge. Open 11:00am to 9:00pm
Thinking about getting Active on a Monday in The District?
- Soko Outfitters* offers a climbing wall https://sokooutfitters.com/pages/soko-climbing-wall as well as kayaks and stand-up paddleboards for Rent. They also have a wide selection of outdoor gear to check out.
- Walk or Run the Cedar River Trail South (connect with a variety of other local trails) https://linncountytrails.org/maps/find-a-trail/cedar-river/
- Rent a bike from the Bike Share City of Cedar Rapids http://www.cedar-rapids.org/local_government/departments_a_-_f/community_development/bike_share_system.php
For supper options on Monday in The District enjoy the outdoor patio, bicycle fix-it station, wide craft beer selection as well as historical Cedar Rapids memorabilia in locally owned Parlor City Pub and Eatery*. Open on Mondays 11am-9pm. Fong’s is also open on Monday from 11am until 10pm and feature a happy hour from 3-6pm with great drink specials along with a free slice with every drink purchase. They offer Asian-inspired pizza, handmade appetizers and other great menu items with a draft of Iowa brewed beer or a tiki drink from Cedar Rapids’ only tiki bar.
After hours in The District includes many options, even on a Monday. Here is a list of options: Parlor City Pub and Eatery*, Chrome Horse Saloon NewBo, Tornados, Bo Mac’s, Kickstand, CJ’s Sports Bar and Grill, Aces and Eights, Dirty Shirley’s, and Lucky’s on 16th.
The District offers so many options to fill your schedule on a Monday. Swing down and enjoy local, unique, historic and cultural experiences.
* notes Featured District Business