The District: Czech Village New Bohemia Main Street Organization hosted the first District Meet Up this morning at the NewBo City Market at 8:30am. Future Meetings will happen on the third Monday of the month at 8:30am with the location changing to various places within the District. The Meet Up began with introductions by Monica Vernon, Executive Director of Strategic Development, and Abby Huff, Executive Director of Main Street.
Jenn Winter, Director of Public Works for the City of Cedar Rapids provided an update on Flood Control Measures planned for Cedar Rapids. With the federal funding there is a focus on the East side of the river for the next 5 years. At the current setup, the city is protected from flooding up to 18 feet. At 20 feet they will prepare Hesco barriers until the Flood system is complete. Flood Protection in Czech Village underground was completed last year. This Fall the Levee will be complete from the Landfill to 17th Ave SW.
Businesses were reminded to make sure they have a back-flow preventer on their sanitary system.
Timing on future flood prevention installations:
- 2020: Roller Gates on 16th Ave Bridge, also Storm Sewer work on Bowling Street on the Gate Systems
- 2020: Lot 44 Pump Station Construction, Parking Lot will be open during construction.
- 2022-2023: 8th Ave Bridge Renovations are anticipated to take place, rasing the bridge 15 feet and replacing the bridge that is over 100 years old.
- 2025: Wall construction in Czech Village by 16th Ave
Open House Meeting for East Side Flood Control happening June 27th 4:30-6:30 at the Economic Metro Alliance
Jennifer Pratt the Director of Development from the City of Cedar Rapids spoke about the new form based Zoning Code. Within the new code: the height is restricted to fit into the surrounding neighborhoods, and the first floor must be active spaces including windows and doorways. A Visual Preference Survey was conducted in 2016, and one will happen again in July of 2019. Urban Greenspace is preferred, a cohesive neighborhood look or identity is desired, and traditional brick facades are preferred over vinyl/glass/metal construction materials.
A visioning workshop will be held Wednesday, June 5, from 5:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. at the National Czech and Slovak Museum and Library. This will be a facilitated discussion to encourage feedback and comments on how residents would like to see the districts grow. The City is seeking feedback on everything from bike and pedestrian access, to how street aesthetics can be improved, to what kind of new development the public is interested in attracting. Discussion will begin at 5:30 p.m.
Main Street is putting together a Design Booklet for potential Developers to view inspiration from the historical buildings and character the District provides.
One Minute Updates and Announcements:
- Save the Date for Dinner on the Bridge of Lions September 6th 2019
- The Cherry Building is turning 100 this year, and is Celebrating on September 14th with a Open House.
- A Giant Cherry sculpture has been commissioned for outside of The Cherry Building.
- Wednesday Cafe St. Pio will hold a soft opening in Czech Village.
- March 30th Lost and Found Provisions and Spirits will hold it’s Grand Opening.
- District Movie Night will be held June 11th at 8pm at the NewBo City Market. “The Princess Bride” is sponsored by Taylor Bergen of Coldwell Bankers Hedges Realty and the NewBo City Market Beer and Wine as well Aroma Artisan Pizza will be open for guests.
The Czech Village – New Bohemia Main Street will be doing a variety of Placemaking activities throughout the summer. Placemaking inspires people to collectively re-imagine and reinvent public spaces as the heart of every community.
The District CVNB Main Street Design committee has a variety of different placemaking ideas planned throughout the summer and early fall. Including the following:
– Umbrella Canopy to be located in Czech Village
– Colored Bistro tables and chairs with umbrella’s to be located along 3rd Street & 16th Ave in the district
– Interactive murals
– Painted crosswalks in both Czech Village & New Bohemia
The total cost of the project is roughly $16,000.
Contact Information for Main Street Staff:
- Abby Huff – Main Street Executive Director – email@example.com
- Monica Vernon – Executive Director of Strategic Development – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barb Thompson – Program Assistant – email@example.com