BUSINESS COMPETITION CONTEST RULES
The OPEN 4 BUSINESS competition is a chance for you to grow your business idea in the Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street district. Think Shark Tank – Main Street style! Here’s how it works:
- The CVNB Main Street District will hold a local contest to choose which business will represent their program at the state level.
- Business must be located or intend to open within the Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street district
- Business must be a for-profit business. Business should fill a gap for goods or services that currently exists within the local Main Street district. Business may be a new start-up or an existing business planning an expansion.
- Business will be required to complete an application and may be selected to make a 5 minute “sales pitch” about their business to a panel of judges. Sales pitch may include a PowerPoint presentation, samples, and props if desired. Be creative and have fun!
- If selected, local pitches will be held 9:00am Thursday April 20th, at CSPS Hall (1103 3rd St SE)
- Prior to the local pitch event, contestants will be encouraged to attend a 45 min. pitch workshop hosted by the Small Business Development Center on either: Friday April 7, 12pm or Tuesday April 11, 5:30pm at the Geonetric Building (415 12th Ave SE) RSVP to Scott Swenson: Scott.Swenson@kirkwood.edu
- The local winner will receive a $500 prize, pitch coaching from the Iowa Startup Accelerator, a 30 day Vault Resident Membership, coaching through the Small Business Development Center, an opportunity to pitch to the entire community at 1 Million Cups and advancement to the state application round. 2nd place will receive a $250 prize. Prize awards made possible by generous contributions from Guaranty Bank & Trust and Robert Becker
- Twelve semi-finalists will be chosen from across the state and pitches will be held June 15, 2017 via Skype interview.
- The five selected finalists each receive $8,000 and advance to the state competition on August 1st in Sioux City where they will deliver a 15-minute pitch in front of a live audience and panel of judges. State finalists have a chance to win additional funds toward their business plan – up to $20,000!
- Business must provide a 25% match to any awards received.
The contest is designed to help provide financial and technical support for businesses that improve Iowa’s Main Street districts. Your local Main Street office can provide additional information and resources such as Market Analysis data to assist you in completing your entry form. Sustainable businesses that will grow and thrive within the Main Street districts across the state are the desired outcome!
For additional information please contact:
Jennifer Pruden, Executive Director
Czech Village – New Bohemia Main Street District
101 16th Ave SW, Ste A, Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
email@example.com | 319-432-9785
Applications due by April 12, 2017
Special thanks to: Guaranty Bank & Trust and Robert Becker, Prize Sponsosr