Main Street Building Improvement Grant – Applications Closed
Application deadline 8:00am, March 19, 2018
The CV/NB Main Street Board of Directors, and/or Design Committee will award grants to eligible applicants for eligible activities which are outlined below. Applicants must submit an application for the intended project for a formal review. The board of directors or design committee will act on grant applications at their next scheduled meeting.
Grants will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Applicants demonstration of strong dedication to district improvement
- Eligibility of the project and applicant
- Affect of the proposed improvement(s) on the district
- Alignment of the project with Main Street’s four point approach
- Grantee abiding by all terms and conditions of the grant
Grants will be offered up to $1,000 and require 1:1 matching funds from the Grantee.
Who is Eligible
Property owner or property owner-sponsored tenants of existing commercial buildings located within the defined CV/NB Main Street District boundary.
Items include but are not limited to the following:
- Permanent Building Improvements
- Repairs to building facades
- Masonry repair
- Cleaning of the exterior of the building
- Exterior painting
- Repairing or replacing entrances, doors, windows, decorative details
- Sign removal, repair and replacement that meets the requirements of the City of Cedar Rapids sign ordinance and Overlay District guidelines.
- Permanent landscaping, benches and sidewalk repairs
- Interior improvements that are permanent in nature
- Other repairs that improve the aesthetic quality of the property
2.) Technical Assistance
- Architect/Engineering fees, etc.
3.) Public Art
- Art proposals may be submitted by the artist, tenant, or property owner with prior approval and should support the CVNB Main Street’s mission and vision.
- CV/NB Main Street Design Committee reserves the right to approve or deny funding for art based on their determination of the appropriateness of the art within CV/NB Main Street District.
- Art installations must be permanent in nature with the expectation that art as installed will remain in place for at least three (3) years.
- Art installations should be outdoors in a location where it can be viewed by the public without requiring special access.
- Artwork may be in process but cannot have begun installation prior to grant award.
- The design committee encourages artists to submit artwork of any nature for consideration.
Grant project must be completed within one year of the grantees notification of award or up to 18 months with prior approval from CV/NB Main Street Design Committee. Extensions may be granted if the project is more than 75% complete at the end of the grant’s term. Funds will be provided on a reimbursement basis. Example: documentation for at least $2,000 of expenses must be provided to receive a $1,000 grant disbursement.
Grants will be awarded April 17. The CV/NB Main Street Board and/or Design Committee will not use race, sex, orientation, age, religion or other factors as a basis for awarding or refusing to award a grant to an eligible applicant.
Applications must be submitted via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or in-person/postal service to 1107 3rd St SE, Cedar Rapids, IA 52401 on or before 8:00am, March 19, 2018.
The generous funding for this grant program is provided by the Jelinek Memorial Fund. Without the Jelinek family’s generous support and the CV/NB Main Street, this uplifting program would not be possible.
The OPEN 4 BUSINESS competition is a chance for you to grow your business idea in the Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street district. Think Shark Tank – Main Street style! Applications are due by 9:00am, March 23, 2018. (Deadline Extended)
The contest is designed to help provide financial and technical support for businesses that improve Iowa’s Main Street districts. Your local Main Street office can provide additional information and resources such as Market Analysis data to assist you in completing your entry form. Sustainable businesses that will grow and thrive within the Main Street districts across the state are the desired outcome!
Selected applicants will provide a 5-minute pitch to a panel of local judges for a chance to advance in the state competition. Local prizes include $500 for first place and $250 for second place. The local winner will advance in the state competition for a chance at up to $28,000 in additional funding support. Review contest rules below for further information.
This program is generously sponsored by Cedar Rapids Bank & Trust
Biz Boost – Growth & Innovation Grant
Applications due by 9am, March 23, 2018 (Deadline Extended)
- The Biz Boost – Growth & Innovation Grant provides a four hour technical assistance consultation from a qualified professional in the field of choice. Consultant fees will be covered by the Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street program.
- The applicant business must be located within the Czech Village-New Bohemia Main Street District or have a location secured by the time of the consultation.
- Any additional product deliverables outside of the four hour consultation will be the responsibility of the applicant.
- Consultations must be scheduled within six months of award notification.
- Awardee will submit a follow up report within three months of the consultation sharing their experience with the program and any advancement made as a result of the technical assistance.
Menu of Services
- Conceptual Design Renderings: Façade Improvements, Interior Layouts, Signage, and Public Space Improvements
- Technical Assistance Regarding Potential Building and Site Improvements: Architectural, Structural Engineering, Civil Engineering
- Financials 101: Bookkeeping, Preparing Financial Statements, Business Taxes, Quickbooks
- Business Plan Development: Startup and Strategic Planning
- Business Transition Training
- Raising Capital, Available Financial Incentives, Securing Loans
- Business Operations
Promotions & Marketing
- Social Media for Business
- Effective Development of Business Programming
- Market Analysis: Defining and Reaching Your Target Market
- Building a Website
- Do you have a need that is not listed above? Feel free to add in your own topic of interest.